Now is the season for pears so why not treat yourself to this comforting spicy tart this weekend. Topped with a drizzle of Lily O’Brien’s melted chocolate drops, this classic autumn dessert has a delicious nutty richness and will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth.
- 3 firm pears (cored and sliced into wedges)
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cardamom powder
- ½ tsp. ground gloves
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 200g ground almonds
- Handful of flaked almonds
- 50g Lily O’Brien’s Dark Chocolate Drops (melted)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line a 28cm baking tin with baking paper, and grease the sides with butter.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add your ginger, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, brown sugar and pears and toss well.
- Arrange in a spiral on the base of the baking tin.
- In an electric mixer, add the caster sugar and butter
- Mix together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, the baking powder and ground almonds.
- Mix until well combined.
- Carefully pour the mixture over the pears in the tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean, then let it cool in the tin.
- Once cool, turn upside down and pop it on a plate.
- Melt Lily O’Briens Chocolate Drops in a bowl in the microwave (careful not to burn).
- Once melted, drizzle over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Serve with plain whipped cream.