Mega Milk Chocolate Cake
You can't beat a classic Chocolate Sponge Cake to put a smile on your family and friend's faces. Perfect for a celebration or simply a weekend treat!
- 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the tin
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 50g cocoa powder
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1-2 tsp milk
- 50g Lily O’Brien’s Mega Milk Chocolate
- 85g unsalted butter
- 175g icing sugar, sifted
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease with butter and line two 18cm sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the unsalted butter and golden caster sugar together in a bowl until creamy and light in colour. Then add 1 egg while still mixing.
- Sieve the cocoa powder, self-raising flour and a pinch of salt into another bowl, stir to combine and add a third of this to your wet mixture.
- Once combined, add 1 more egg and another third of the flour mixture, then add the last egg and the remaining flour and beat until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and smooth out to the edges with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until springy to the touch. Take out of the oven and leave to cool a little in the tins for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream by melting the chocolate in the microwave, using 20 second bursts, leave to cool.
- Beat the softened unsalted butter and half of the icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the remaining icing sugar and melted chocolate and mix everything together.
- To assemble the cake, place your first cake on the plate or cake stand you would like to use, then spread the top with half the icing, leaving a 1cm border around the edge.
- Place your second cake on top in line with your first and push down gently, then spread the remaining icing over the top.
For more easy baking recipes using Lily O'Brien's Chocolate visit our Chocolate Blog