It's Pancake Tuesday! What Pancake Day would be complete without the perfect chocolate sauce? Our rich, irresistibly smooth 70% Dark Belgian Chocolate makes the perfect indulgent chocolate sauce, guaranteed to make your Pancakes even more delicious!
For the chocolate sauce
- 200g Lily O’Brien’s 70% dark Belgian Chocolate (just under 2 bags), roughly chopped
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- 40g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
For the pancakes
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 280ml buttermilk
- Knob of butter for frying
Make the chocolate sauce
- Place the chocolate, milk, butter and cream in a small saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring often until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and add the golden syrup, whisking until shiny. Cover to keep warm until needed.
Make the pancakes
- In a large bowl, place the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar and a large pinch of salt, and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre of the mixture, then add the egg yolks and stir. Slowly pour in the buttermilk, stirring constantly, to combine everything together to form a smooth, thick batter.
- In a separate large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer until forming soft folding peaks. Using a metal spoon gently fold a tablespoon of the whites into the pancake batter continuing to add the rest in two separate spoonfuls.
- Heat a large frying pan and lightly grease with butter. Drop a small ladle of batter into the hot pan and smooth out so it's around 10cm wide and 1cm thick. Cook over a low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes until it's turned nice and golden underneath. Flip and repeat on the other side until fluffy and cooked through. You can make more in your pan if you have a pan large enough that the pancakes won't touch while cooking.
- Keep your cooked pancakes warm on a heat proof plate or dish in a low oven while you make the remaining pancakes.
- To serve, layer up pancakes, top with your favourite fruits then pour over some of the chocolate sauce.
Take a peek at our other recipes for some delicious Lily O'Brien's recipe inspiration!