You’ll be nuts about these Chocolate and Nut Tartlets this summer! If you are obsessed with nuts these mini tartlets treats are simply delish. Easy to whip up for that spontaneous girls night in or family dinner.
For the tartlets:
- 175g plain flour
- 100g cold butter (cut into small cubes)
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 free range egg yolk
BAKING TIP: If you fancy a quick short cut, shop bought pastry cases work just as well.
For the filling:
- 50g pecans
- 50g pistachios
- 50g peanuts
- 50g cashews
- 50g almonds
- 32g brown sugar
- 50g maple syrup
- 3 large free range eggs
- 57g butter (melted)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- 85g Lily O’Brien’s Milk Chocolate Drops (finely chopped)
- To make the tartlet cases, place the flour, butter and icing sugar into a food processor.
- Pulse briefly until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then add the egg yolk and one tablespoon of cold water.
- Pulse again until the mixture sticks together in clumps then tip onto a work surface and gather it into a ball with your hands.
- Knead the pastry just two or three times to make it into a smooth ball.
- Wrap it in cling film and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Grease 12 x 7.5cm/3in fluted tart tins.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of 5mm/¼in.
- Cut out circles with a 10cm/4in round cutter and use to line the tins, re-rolling the pastry as necessary.
- Place the tart cases in the fridge to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C fan / 400F/Gas mark 6.
- Cover the base of the tartlets with baking parchment or foil and fill with a few baking beans.
- Bake blind for seven minutes then remove the parchment and beans.
- Return the pastry cases to the oven for another 4-5 minutes or until they are light golden-brown and completely dry.
- Set aside to cool while you make the filling.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350F / 180C / Gas Mark 4.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, syrup, sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract.
- Mix well using a whisk.
- Once combined, add the finely chopped chocolate drops and continue whisking.
- Add all the nuts into the chocolate mixture and whisk until they are well coated.
- Bake until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly then carefully ease the tartlets from their tins and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with additional melted chocolate if desired and enjoy.